Note: All sites described below can also be located on our Map Page.
Raglan and surrounds.
Raglan is a small west coast seaside town with a relaxed atmosphere, great cafes, galleries and masses of outdoor adventures on its doorstep. Check out Wainui Reserve on Wainui Road and Ngarunui (Ocean) Beach, accessed through the reserve or from Riria Kereopa Memorial Drive.
Bridal Veil Falls.
Located in the Bridal Veils Falls Scenic Reserve on Kawhia Road, between Raglan and Kawhia, a short walk leads to a spectacular 50 m waterfall.
One of the least modified harbours along the west coast of the North Island.
Final resting place of the Tainui waka. (Ancient double-hulled ocean-going canoe which brought the ancestors of the Tainui people to colonise the Waikato area) This large shallow harbour is an important feeding and roosting site for wading birds.
Walter Scott Scenic Reserve.
A small reserve managed by the Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society with an enjoyable loop track. It is located on the Pekanui Road at Ngutunui, between Pirongia and Kawhia.
Kakepuku Historic Reserve.
Drive along Kakepuku Road to the parking area on the south-eastern side of Kakepuku mountain. A track leads to a viewing tower on the summit of this small volcanic cone. Five pa were once located on the mountain.
Pirongia Visitor Centre.
Located in the heart of Pirongia Village, this is a good place to stop for information on local history and attractions.
Located at the junction of the Waipa River and Mangapiko Stream at the north end of Pirongia Village. This was historically a strategically important pa for Maori and a major population centre. In the early 1800s, it was attacked by armed Nga Puhi from Northland. Although in a good defensive position, its occupants did not have muskets and were eventually overwhelmed and the survivors forced to flee.
Alexandra East Redoubt.
Built in 1864 by the 2nd Waikato Regiment, the remains are not obvious but the small reserve on Aubin Close in Pirongia Village identifies the strategic position of the redoubt.
Built after the war finished for the Armed Constabulary. It is the best preserved of the Waikato redoubts. Located on Bellot Street, Pirongia Village.
Once a major settlement and meeting place for Maori, located at the foot of Mt Pirongia. In 1882 negotiation for land purchase was carried out here between the Crown and King Tawhiao. Birthplace of Princess Te Puea.
Military grave site.
Six British Army soliders are buried in a small graveyard off Bird Rd, north of Pirongia Village - marked by a stone monument and a large oak tree. Along with 35 Maori warriors, they were killed in a skirmish early in 1864.
This highly fortified pa was built by Rewi Maniapoto and 3000 warriors from 20 tribes during the Waikato War. Little now remains of the structure but the highest point on Bell Road, North of Pirongia Village, marks the middle of the defended area.